Kathleen Byrne Science Bequest Fund
A former Deputy Headteacher of our school, Kathleen Byrne, bequeathed to the Science Department a substantial sum of money, with the purpose of Promoting Careers in Science.
Since 2014 a number of students have benefited from this fund. Examples include:
- Funding a visit to CERN in Switzerland
- Summer placements at University
- Attendance at a Chemistry conference
- Visiting Medical Schools
- Completing pre-Med assessments
The Bursary is managed in two ways:
- Individual Application: Any St. Simon Stock Science student (Years 12-13) may apply for a Bursary of up to £400 for any project or event of their choosing. More information can be found in the associated documents: Information Leaflet and Application Form
- Ongoing Events within the Science Department: The Governors and Head of Science also work closely to ensure the Advancement of Science Careers within the school by careful use of the Funds appropriately. Examples include:
- Part-funding of A-level trips / residential visits
- Addition of exciting learning resources
- Funding Enrichment / STEM Activities e.g. Explosions, Planetarium
- Automatic funding of pre-med assessments for students likely to meet entrance criteria
- Consideration of any possible capital projects within the Science department
In conclusion, the Kathleen Byrne Science Bursary Fund continues to benefit students each year, with a range of agreed and voluntary activities. Students are as ever encouraged to apply for their own personal projects, as well as participating in other funded events.
Please direct any enquires about the Bursary to me, at the school, in the first instance.
Mr Chittenden, Assistant Headteacher responsible for Science