Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice. Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption. Schools are often affected and it can be difficult to maintain an education service.
As a fundamental principle, every effort must be made to keep a school open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However, schools may close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite.
St Simon Stock Catholic School will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter and the normal expectation should be that the School is open. If we do experience severe weather resulting in hazardous and unsafe conditions, we may have to take the decision to close the School. Once a decision is made to close, we will:
- Post a message on the School website by 6.30am or asap;
- Send a message to parents/students via text/email;
- We will update the website regularly to keep parents, staff and students informed about arrangements for the following day;
- We will inform the local radio stations for their school closure announcements and Kent Closures website will be notified.
If the School is forced to close during the day, we will immediately post a message on the website and send a message to parents via text/e mail. Local radio stations will be contacted to make announcements.
If the School is open, but that you feel the journey is not safe for your son/daughter, please contact the School to report the absence in the usual manner.
Our Virtual Learning platform, FROG, will have work assigned by the teachers in order to enable students to continue working from home if the School is closed. All teachers are instructed to set work for students in this way in the event of a school closure.
What you can do to help?
- Parents/carers have completed our severe weather survey indicating your choice as to what you would like to happen in the event of an early school closure
- Please visit kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- When driving pupils to school, please avoid accessing Oakwood Park to avoid unnecessary congestion.
- Please provide a packed lunch from home in case school meals cannot be provided.
- Don’t forget suitable warm clothing-gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc.
Many thanks for your support in helping us remain open during periods of severe snow/ice.